Friday, February 29, 2008

Open up and Say ....Ahhhhhhh

Today my (almost 4 yr) daughter Soph went to the dentist for the time. I have been prepping her for this day for the last 2 weeks and the main reason for this is because I HATE the dentist. For unknown reasons I have always feared dentist visits. I have great teeth, only a couple fillings and never had braces. So, for the last couple weeks I told my daughter how great the dentist is and how much her teeth will sparkle when he is done cleaning them. Soph did great! She kept her mouth open the whole time and let them check and polish her teeth. The rough part of the appointment was when I told the dentist Soph sucked her thumb. Boy was she mad at me. This is her security secret. She never sucks her thumb in public or around her friends. The dentist explained to her that it will hurt her teeth, then pulled out some pictures of kids with messed up teeth. This hit home with Soph, she is very girly and likes to be pretty.

Tonight at bed time when I saw her with her thumb in her mouth I reminded her to take it out. Boy what a tough situation. I can see it in her eyes she is already struggling with this. She wants to stop but the thumb is a big night time security.

We will see how it goes. Anybody have any good suggestions out there? I could use some help.

My Web Site http://www.kidsinstl.com/Added a bunch of activities to the calendar. Trying to get it pumped up with activities for spring and summer. Here is a list of some of the activities going on around St Louis the next couple of days. Go to the site http://www.kidsinstl.com/ for more detail.
March 2nd
Hey for all of you that are not in St Louis, I want to share one of the many other parts of my site that can be used by anyone regardless of where they live. Here is one of the recipes from the Kid Sensory Recipes section of the site. From the home page click on the Kid Sensory Recipes button– To see the whole list check out our site. WWW.kidsinstl.com

Sensory Activities & Recipes for Kids
CINNAMON CLAY
1 ½ Cup Cinnamon1 Cup Applesauce1/3 Cup White Glue
Mix cinnamon, applesauce and glue together in bowl. Knead the mixture until it turns to firm clay. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Best at room temperature. If it gets sticky dust with cinnamon.

3 comments:

Dapoppins said...

i have to go to the dentist tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it at all.
My son had a finger sucking problem but he only did it when he was holding his special animal. Putting the animal on a shelf and buying him a new spider man pillow helped him adjust to the change...I doubt that helps you much. But I find that if you have to take one "security" thing away, it is better to replace it with something else, only healthier.

MarĂ­a said...

We went to the dentist yesterday too! It was both of their 2nd time going and they LOVE it!

I haven't been in years. :(

Our Crooked Tree said...

my 2.5 yo loves the dentist (I do too)! he knows he gets little toys from them as he leaves. He is a finger sucker and I was a thumb sucker. I had braces at 30 but not because of the thumb; crowding. She will grow out of it...not that that helps much.